American Medical Response (AMR)
Job Title: Dispatcher (I or Associate)
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Dispatcher I or Associate functions primarily as a call-taker telecommunicator and is responsible for receiving,
recording and effectively managing requests for ambulance assistance/transport from various sources.
The Dispatcher I will offer pre-arrival instructions as indicated.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understands and adequately implements the concepts of Emergency Medical Dispatch as published in Principles of Emergency Medical Dispatch (and as customized by AMR) as a minimum standard of care.
- Allocates EMS resources properly as the need arises by application of appropriate decision-making rules and approved protocols.
- Responsible and accountable for completeness and accuracy of paperwork related to his/her position prior to completion of shift.
- Responsible for accurate and complete data entry for the shift. This will also include State Run Report data entry as assigned.
- Responsible for generating applicable reports and checking for accuracy.
- Assists in locating scene of incidents and selecting the safest, fastest route to such scene using all available locator aids.
- Relays instructions from supervisors, messages and emergency information.
- Maintains a current working knowledge of all company policies, procedures, rules, regulations, and memorandums.
- Follows established parameters/formats in receiving requests for service.
- Responsible for knowledge and use of equipment, including but not limited to the computer, printers, 911 equipment, recording devices, telephones, and other equipment as assigned by superiors.
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures.
- Adherence to and compliance with information systems security is everyone’s responsibility. It is the responsibility of every computer user to: Know and follow Information Systems security policies and procedures. Attend Information Systems security training, when offered. Report information systems security problems.
Non-Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must have minimal medical training or telecommunications experience or, have at least one year's experience as an EMS or public safety dispatcher,
Knowledge and Skills:
- Skilled in reading and writing English.
- Ability to communicate clearly on the radio and telephone.
- Ability to record, transmit, and report information accurately.
- Ability to efficiently utilize all equipment assigned to him/her.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Possess good typing skills with speed and accuracy necessary to efficiently process emergency and nonemergency calls.
- Ability to understand basic computer applications.