Job Title: Emergency Medical Technician
Reports To: Field/Operations Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
EMT'S will respond to emergency and non-emergency calls and delivers high quality patient care and customer service within the prescribed scope of practice, established protocols and company policies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains thorough familiarity with treatment protocols, response requirements and quality assurance procedures in system in which assigned.
- Maintains awareness of any and all changes in the system components and company policy.
- Continuously maintains the level and type of certification(s) consistent with performing tasks in the system to which assigned.
- Complies with all state and company requirements for operation of motor vehicle.
- Operates a company vehicle in accordance with company policy and safe practices.
- Develops ability to quickly and safely locate addresses through knowledge of number systems and street layouts.
- Ensures that unit remains in a state of readiness in terms of mechanical reliability, medical supply and equipment, cleanliness and appearance standards.
- Reports immediately to the Lead Paramedic any discrepancies in vehicle or equipment standards that could compromise the unit’s ability to complete a call.
- Completes all appropriate documentation as outlined in company policy.
- Reports all problems and unusual occurrences immediately to the Lead Paramedic, Supervisor, or Operations.
- Maintains a professional appearance by adhering to hygiene and uniforms standards.
- Attends all mandatory in-services.
- Maintains a cooperative working relationship with allied health and public safety personnel.
- Maintains complete and accurate documentation of patient assessment and treatment as applicable to system or operations which assigned
- Maintains complete and accurate documentation of patient statistical and billing information and services rendered
- Adheres to medical treatment protocol
- Uses / operates appropriate communications equipment, medical equipment, cleaning equipment, office equipment and tools.
- Appropriately uses medical equipment such as gurney, airway equipment/airway bag, IV, splints, bandages, and medications in rendering proper emergency medical treatment to patients.
- Reads road maps, drives vehicles, and accurately discerns street signs and address numbers.
- Reads medication/prescription labels and directions for usage in quick, accurate, and expedient manner.
- Communicates verbally with patients and significant others in various environments to interview patient, family members, and bystanders,
- Ability to discern deviations/changes in eye/skin coloration due to patient's condition and to the treatment given.
- Converses with dispatcher and EMS providers via phone or radio as to status of patient.
- Adheres to all company policies and procedures.
- Adhere to and compliance with information systems security and policies.
Non-Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to successfully pass Physical Agility Test
- Aptitudes required for work of this nature are good physical stamina, endurance, and body condition that would not be adversely affected by frequently having to walk, stand, lift, carry, and balance at times.
- Must be able to lift, drag, hoist, and carry different types of equipment and other objects.
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED
- Ca Drivers’ License
- Ambulance Driver’s License (from DMV)
- Medical Examiner’s Card (from DMV)
- State of California EMT License
- CPR Card (American Heart Association ONLY, Health Care Provider. Hand written cards are not acceptable)
- Driving record in compliance with AMR Safety and Driving policy (proof required if conditional employment is made).
- ICS courses, please refer to link http://training.fema.gov/IS/NIMS.asp.
- IS-100B (ICS 100)
- IS-200B (ICS 200)
- IS-700A (NIMS)
- IS-800B (NIMS)
- Some past work experience, preferably in healthcare desired.