Job Title: Emergency Medical Technician (EMT-Basic)
Reports To: Operations Supervisor (Field)
Employment Status: Part-Time (Non-Exempt)
Location: Mobile, AL
PURPOSE: To provide Basic Life Support patient care and ambulance transportation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct a careful examination of the patient for signs and symptoms of illness/injury, determines best course of action for care/transport within scope of license, assists other medical personnel, as necessary.
- Provides prompt and efficient care of the patient and stabilization of condition prior to transport.
- Provides careful handling, lifting, moving of the patient in moving them to the stretcher, ambulance, bed, etc.
- Provides safe, orderly and efficient transport of the patient(s) (per DOT/State/Company rules) to destination while constantly monitoring the patient(s) and/or surroundings and providing any appropriate continuing care within the scope of license/certification.
- Upon arrival at destination with patient, responsible for cleaning, restocking basic supplies and placing the unit back in service as soon as possible.
- When necessary, in the absence of other qualified rescuers and within limits of your training, use procedures to gain access to and disentangle patients who require extrication.
- In the absence of other qualified personnel, controls the emergency scene, including parking the vehicle in such a way as to minimize further danger in the roadway as well as controlling the actions of bystanders.
- Obtains information regarding the emergency from dispatch, communicates other emergency services as needed during the call. In the absence of, or as directed by more qualified personnel, communicates with Dispatch or receiving hospitals regarding patient status via phone or radio. Must follow FCC with regard to communications by radio.
- Obtains and records information for the Company as well as those required by medical, legal, and health authorities.
- Will make daily checks of the vehicle equipment and systems and completes manifest and other reports/forms as required.
- Reports needed equipment and vehicle repairs to Field Supervisor and Maintenance Personnel.
- Responsible for precepting new employees and students/observers as directed.
- Respects and holds in confidence all information of a confidential nature obtained in the course of professional work unless required by law to divulge such information.
- Protects the public by not delegating to persons less qualified, any service which requires the professional competence of an EMT-B.
- Refuses to participate in unethical procedures and assumes the responsibility to expose incompetence or unethical conduct of others to the appropriate authority in a proper and professional manner.
- Communicate verbally with patients and significant others in various environments to interview patient, family members, and bystanders.
- Ability to discern deviations/changes in eye/skin coloration due to patient's condition and to the treatment given.
- Adhere to all Company (including Federal, State, County, City) policies, procedures and rules.
- Adherence to and compliance with information systems security policies and procedures.
- Ability to work past scheduled shift (Hold Over) with little or no notice.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Physical Requirements (Field Employees Only):
- Must be able to successfully pass the Physical Agility Test.
- Aptitudes required for work of this nature are good physical stamina, endurance, and body condition that would not be adversely affected by frequently having to walk, stand, lift, carry, and balance at times.
- Must be able to lift, drag, hoist, and carry different types of equipment and other objects.
- Must meet the core job functions and job qualification standards for field operations personnel as described in the Standard Operating Procedure manual.
- Unless otherwise specified, the guidelines for clinical competency for EMT-Basic shall be as published in the current EMT-Basic text by Brady. American Heart Association guidelines shall supersede.
- Full time employees must be available for recall in times of crisis.
- Must be at least 19 years old.
- Current State Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) License.
- Must have High School Diploma or GED.
- Current adult and child CPR certification from AHA.
- Current and valid State driver’s license (where required, at least Class D w/ “F” endorsement).
- Driving record and background in compliance with AMR Safety and Driving Policy.
Other i.e. Knowledge and Skills:
- Maintains professional competence and demonstrates concern for the competence of other members of the EMS health care team.
- Ability to uphold standards of practice and education.
- Ability to adhere to standards of personal ethics, on and off duty, which reflect credit upon the profession.
- Must have full knowledge of the vehicle’s medical and non-medical equipment and its proper use within the scope of practice for EMT.
- Does not use professional knowledge and skills in any enterprise detrimental to the Company or to the public well-being.
- Ability to respect and hold in confidence all information of a confidential nature obtained in the course of professional work unless required by law to divulge such information.
- Has good working knowledge of all company policies pertaining to this position.
- Good knowledge of common physical illnesses, obvious symptoms, and medical terminology.